In many organisations, Continuing Professional Development, CPD, is the ongoing maintenance of professional competence. It has been identified as a key component in raising standards of professionalism for key sectors, including: the medical and legal profession and financial services. All members (except Students) are required to carry out the required amount of CPD. For some this is 30- 50 hours of CPD required annually
So why do companies invest time and money in CPD?
- CPD ensures that your organisation maintains and develops the knowledge and skills needed to deliver a professional service to it’s customers, clients and the community.
- CPD ensures that it’s team member’s knowledge stays relevant and up to date.
What are the benefits to you, as an individual?
It enables you to:
- Acquire the skills and knowledge to develop your potential
- Be more aware of the changing trends and directions in your profession.
- Stand out from the crowd, with research showing those who have undertaken CPD, have a significantly higher chance of gaining a promotion or moving on to a different area within their chosen field.
- Achieve a higher salary.
CPD has long been recognised as a valuable component in career attainment with short courses offered by major academic institutions.
If you would like to expand on this topic please see the following article – “Continuing professional development” from Department for Continuing Education by University of Oxford.
For those with a practical disposition or engaged in full time employment, on the job training and coaching may be a more viable option.
dancing lion provide a range of CPD accredited training programmes. Please check our profile on CPD website.
For more information on CPD Standards Office accredited training programmes, by dancing lion in: management, sales, customer service, arrears collection and other specialist areas, please contact dancing lion.